Good morning! Here are 10 things you need to know this morning:
1. The Ondo State House of Assembly Speaker, Rt. Hon. Jumoke Akindele and her deputy, Hon. Fatai Olotu were on Tuesday impeached by 18 lawmakers of the Assembly. The lawmakers sacked the Speaker and her deputy after signing a notice of impeachment.
2. Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday arrested former Head of Service of the Federation, Steve Oronsaye. It was he was reportedly arrested around 4pm on Tuesday over alleged corruption and obtaining money by false pretense.
3. The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, has been broken into seven independent operational units by President Muhammadu Buhari. This was announced on Tuesday in Abuja by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu. The units include include Upstream, Downstream, Gas & Power, Refineries, Ventures, Corporate Planning & Services and Finance and Accounts.
4. The Ekiti State House of Assembly has raised the alarm over plot to coerce some of its members into impeaching Governor Ayodele Fayose, saying a sum of $1 million was being promised some of the members who will be part of the impeachment plot. This was disclosed by Chairman House Committee on Information, Hon Gboyega Aribisogan.
5. Relatively, the House of Representatives has directed that the Director-General of Department of State Security Services (DSS), Lawal Musa Daura, appear before it within 48 hours to explain why the DSS personnel invaded Ekiti State House of Assembly.
The summon followed the unanimous adoption of a motion under matters of urgent public importance moved by House Minority Leader, Leo Ogor on Tuesday.
6. The Nigerian Army, Tuesday confirmed the death of Chief of Training and Operations of the Army, Major General Yushau Mahmood Abubakar in a road accident along Maiduguri-Damaturu Road. The accident which happened on Tuesday also involved the Acting General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Brigadier General MSA Aliyu, who sustained injuries and currently admitted in a hospital.
7. The Fulani invasion of Benue State took another turn on Tuesday when no fewer than eight persons were killed in an attack on Logo LGA. Four villages were affected , including Tse Chia, Tse Nhumbe, Deghkia and Ngorukgan.
8. Justice H. A.Nganjiwa of a Federal High Court sitting in Yenogoa, Bayelsa State on Tuesday remanded Yunusa Yellow, the alleged abductor of 14-year-old Ese Oruru in prison custody. Yunusa was arraigned on a five count charge of criminal abduction, Illicit sex, sexual exploitation and unlawful carnal knowledge of the victim, Ese.
9. Troops of 26 and 28 Task Force Brigades, on Tuesday repelled an early morning attack by fleeing Boko Haram terrorists on military locations at Pulka and Bitta in the fringes of Sambisa forest. Relatively, the troops of 114 Task Force Battalion also came under attack by Boko Haram terrorists fanning out of Sambisa forest from Damboa, Tokumbere and Pulka axis.
10. The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, has confirmed the death of 10 persons and the rescue of another 10 in Tuesday’s building collapse in Lekki, Lagos State.
LASEMA made the confirmation at about 4pm on Tuesday.