A leak’ containing nearly 3 terabytes of information has caused furor around the world as it reveals how rich people launder money out of the reach of the government and tax collectors.
At least eleven million documents containing 40 years’ worth of information obtained secretly from one of the world’s most secretive law firms, Mossack Fonseca, based in Panama City, show how the firm has helped clients dodge sanctions and evade taxes by helping to hide money in tax havens and non-extraditable countries.
The cache of 11.5 million records of financial secrecy of top politicians, fraudsters and drug barons, celebrities, billionaires and sports stars, included some prominent Nigerians.
Here’s a list of Nigerians named in the leak so far:
• Senate President Bukola Saraki
• Ex Senate President David Mark
• Former Delta State Governor James Ibori
• Former Defence Minister Gen. Yakubu Danjuma
• Aliko Dangote
• Toyin Saraki (Wife of Senate President)
• Laolu Saraki (a relative of Senate President0
• Obi Asika
• Olufela Ibidapo
• Sayyu Dantata (a relative of Aliko Dangote)